Monday, April 30, 2007

Cigar Deals

Like Judge, I too enjoy a "Cuban Tree" from time to time. Since we're buddies, we pretty much share a lot of similar tastes and while not exactly the same, we agree on a few cigars. I whole-heartily recommend the Curly Head from Arturo Fuente, however as they say, variety is the spice of life. What is a guy to do that's in search of quality smokes at wallet-friendly prices? Here's what I do.



First, subscribe to the online cigar dealer "newsletters". Yes, its essentially SPAM from them trying to get you to buy their products, but sometimes you'll find a really good deal in that ad. A couple I use are;

  • Cigar International - Located in quaint Bethlehem, PA I've been ordering from them for a few years and really like the service. Fast delivery, good selection, bargain prices. I've actually been to the storefront when I was on business.

  • JR Cigars - A lot like CI. I've found good deals and their prices are fine, especially on accessories and shipping. For whatever reason, I just use CI more.

  • Thompson Cigar - A little more well known as they tend to advertise in men oriented magazines. Pretty decent pricing and good service, I don't use them much, but I know at one time, Judge used their "Cigar of the Month" service.

Through CI's weekly ad, I found one of the very best smokes I've ever had, the Nestor Reserve Maduro,

a box-pressed 93 rated maduro torpedo that is like smoking chocolate

with its creamy taste. At $50 for 25, you can't beat that with a stick! Through JR's I found one of my other all-time favorites for a steal, the Onyx Reserve No.4 in tins of four for $6 each. This is another VERY good smoke (94 rating from Cigar Aficionado) for not a lot of jack. Alas, they don't have the tins any longer, but their regular price is still very good.



So I guess what I'm getting at is that the not-so-wealthy cowboy can still afford premium smokes by being willing to try something new and keeping your eyes open for the deals. Like most things in life, some of the best stuff is off the beaten path.

No comments: