Monday, April 23, 2007

The Curly Head

No, I’m not about to go on a Don Imus like rant. I’m talking about one of my favorite cigars, the Arturo Fuente Curly Head. I have been smoking cigars for years and I’ve sampled a number from cheap machine rolled to top of the line Cubans, but I find generally that I smoke on two occasions. First, when I’m doing something outdoors such as golfing, mowing, or shooting. The second occasion is when I’m celebrating.



I want different cigars for these different events and I generally skip around a lot. Often sampling many different cigars in a single outing, but the Curly Head is a day to day cigar that I keep coming back to time and again.



First, the Curly Head is inexpensive. Averaging fewer than two bucks a cigar you can afford to smoke as many as you like. Hell, you can pass them around like it was your first born for that matter! The stick is put together well with a natural wrapper, some veining, and an extra length of wrapper tucked over the foot to keep it all inside. The cigar is bandless which helps give It a rustic look and one I especially enjoy while cowboy shooting. It’s generally a soft cigar that holds up well to different types of environments, but don’t get too surprised if it comes apart slightly on you.



Because it’s not a tight cigar the draw is very easy and unfortunately on occasion too easy. If you are not careful you can overheat this cigar in a hurry. But the real bang for the buck comes in the flavor. It’s a smooth smoke with an easy finish and it leaves a little sweet taste on your tongue. I’m not good at describing flavors, but many describe the flavor as vanilla.



The Curly Head has become my everyday smoke and while it’s sometimes called an introductory cigar that’s fine with me. I like my H. Upmanns, Davidoffs, and Cohibas, but for smoking while cutting the grass…nothings better.

No comments: